Copyright 2019 © Newcastle Holy Cross Church
Newcastle Holy Cross is located on Whittington Grove in Fenham in Newcastle upon Tyne. It was consecrated on 14th September 1936 by Dr Harold Ernest, Bishop of Newcastle. Those who attended the consecration service recall that, despite wet weather, more than 650 people turned out for this significant event. The land was given by Mr J.R. Blackett-
Over the years, there have been a number of additions to the church building. In 1961, Mrs Blackett-
In 1976, the Parish Hall was opened. This building stands adjacent to the church on the corner of Whittington Grove and Lanercost Drive. It is an excellent facility used daily by various church and community groups. The Parish Hall replaced the Old Church Hall on Grange Road. This earlier building was the original church in the area; it was consecrated as Christ Church in October 1929.
On 29th March 1981, a new Organ was dedicated by C.P. Unwin, Archdeacon of Northumberland. This instrument was built by Church & Co. of Stamfordham. The elegant case in cedar was planned to match the decor and the architectural features of the church – particularly the circular west window and barrel vault of the roof. The Organ was designed to comply with the church’s principal need – the accompaniment of the liturgy. A balanced principal chorus forms the basis of Manual I and provides a good and firm lead for congregational singing; the matched but quieter flute chorus on Manual II is designed for the accompaniment of the choir.
The present Vicar, Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council are grateful for the careful stewardship of their forbears over the past several decades. We are eager to share our church with you, especially as a sacred place for the worship of God.
Pallister, George A Short History of the Church of the Holy Cross, Fenham to Mark the 40th Anniversary of its Dedication J. Holmes Ltd.: Newcastle upon Tyne, 1976
Anon. The Parish Church of the Holy Cross, Fenham: Golden Jubilee, 1936-